Tallahassee #9 - Tallahassee, FL

Former Sing Store Tallahassee #9 - View from Capital Circle

Tallahassee #9

Sing Food Store | Chevron Gas

1990 Capital Circle NE

Tallahassee, FL 32308

Frankly, this post may seem a bit dry compared to the other Tallahassee stores I have documented. Historic photos? Not quite.  New photos? Not really.  True Value franchises (and their subsequent demise)? Nope.  Customers driving through the doors? I don't think so.  Classifieds? Boring.

I will admit that some of my posts are factually dense, but the goal of this blog is to throw any-and-everything that I find on these stations in one place.  I guess that is just par for the course.  Maybe some of you will like this shorter post; for those who don't, it won't be long before I will be writing about a very juicy find I had a short time ago.  I also uncovered a host of information on the one-and-only Sing Fast Food Mall while researching this store that I can't wait to share.  Meanwhile, I decided to cover Tallahassee #9 in anticipation of another blog I will be featured on next year (more details forthcoming).  I have typically brushed aside the stations that I don't have a strong connection to (or enough content on) but here is my exception for good 'ole #9.  I'm sure I will visit the inside of this store at a later date, but after photographing three other Tallahassee stores and two supermarkets, I was too tired to step inside on my last visit to the area.  Regardless, I'm sure it looks like most of the other Circle K's in the market.

Map of Tallahassee Sing Oil Company Food Stores and Publix Supermarkets

This is the second Tallahassee store I have covered that is on the same block as a Publix.  Interestingly, there are eight such store pairings in the market, with the remaining three Publix being within 2.5 miles of a Sing Store. (Maybe it is cheating to include Sing's lot at the US 90/I-10 interchange.  The land was purchased by the Thomasville company in 1989 but never developed until 1996, after Amoco sold it to a private distributor.  I'm sure Sing would have built a store here had they not begun merger discussions.)

Sing Store, possibly in Knoxville, TN - min-1970's
Sing Store on Cedar Lane in Knoxville, TN - ca. 1972
View of typical 1970's Sing Food Store configuration

I'm nearly certain the two historical photos I've included are not of Tallahassee #9; instead I believe they are from Sing's short venture into the Knoxville, TN market.  The reason why I tagged them on are because the station looks resoundingly similar to a picture from a grand opening ad I found here.   The actual location of this station may forever remain a mystery, (update: this store is located at 121 Cedar Lane, Knoxville, TN) but at least it will give us a good idea of how Tallahassee #9 looked when it opened.  

The station above was the last unidentified picture I had in my collection, meaning I have now accomplished another phase of my project!  Now that all of the photographed convenience stores have been identified, I can focus on bringing more content to the blog, and branching out to other retail categories . . .

Courtesy Newspapers.com - May 29, 1975 - Tallahassee #9 Grand Opening

Built in 1975, Tallahassee #9 is located on the busy corner of Capital Circle Northeast and Centerville Road; however, the intersection used to look a little bit different.  I believe both Capital Circle and Centerville roads were two-laned at the time, and it would be many years before that would change.  The Centerville / Blairstone expansion project wasn't complete until the mid-2000's which brought about the current split-traffic alignment.  

It looks like this store, along with Tallahassee #8, opened in May of 1975; I found an ad in the Tallahassee Democrat on May 29th listing both of the stations having a grand opening sale.  It also lists Mike Morris as the manager and the station hours as 7 AM to 11 PM (fairly standard).  Interestingly, I found a separate article from April that lists Jerry Morris as the manager of a different Tallahassee Sing, so I wonder if they were brothers.

Sing Store, possibly in Knoxville, TN - min-1970's
Sing Store on Cedar Lane Knoxville, TN - ca. 1972
View of typical Sing pump canopy configuration

This station would have likely been laid out like Columbus #4, Redan, and its sister store Tallahassee #8 upon completion.  Similar to many Sing stations of the era, it used Sing's late-1970's awning design that does not include cypress paneling and had a gabled pump canopy.  Only one of these pump canopies is known to have survived to the 2020's and is located at a pool store in Knoxville.  Bizarre, huh?

Former Sing Store Tallahassee #9 - View from Centerville Road

Circle K / Shell - November 2021
Former Sing Store Tallahassee #9 - View from Centerville Road

We will now Circle (K) back to 2021 to conclude this post with a picture I have from Centerville Road of the North side of the station.  As with every other Sing Store in Tallahassee, Circle K purchased this location from Amoco in 1999, in the final market carrying the Sing name.  Since the purchase, it pumped 76 gas for a few years before Circle K converted all of their Tallahassee stores to their private brand in 2006.  It wasn't long before these stores were swapped to the Shell banner because the first Google Street Views in late '07 already show the Dutch company's branding.

Street Views


Google Street View - April 2021
Current view from Capital Circle of the former Sing Food Store #9
 
 Google Street View - January 2017
Our last glimpse of Shell's old livery on the old Sing Store

  
Google Street View - November 2007
Shortly after the Shell branding appeared on the station

Aerial Views

Historic Aerials - 1951
Future site of Tallahassee's Sing Store #9 - before Capital Circle was built!

Historic Aerials - 1983
Our first look at Tallahassee #9, in the Southwest corner of the intersection

Google Earth - February, 1995
Amoco-Sing Store #9 with a new pump canopy and newly-widened roads

Google Earth - December 2002
Circle K / 76 & our last look at the Centerville Road intersection before the new alignment

Google Earth - April 2021
Circle K / Shell & the current configuration of the intersection

Google Maps - 2021
The former Tallahassee #9 (Circle K) in relation to Bruno's #184 / Pubno's #689 / Publix #1427

 

This post includes a separate feature covering Publix #1427, from my series Sing Oil Blog: More Than Convenience, which can be found on The Albertsons Florida Blog.  To check out my other posts from this series or to learn more, click on the logo above.

Additional Resources: 

Tallahassee - Leon County GIS

Google Earth Pro

Parcel ID: 1121202060000

Leon County Property Records

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classy Market 2.0: The Final Hours

Disco Kroger: The Final Hours

Memorial Drive - Stone Mountain, GA